Social Icons

12 Dec 2012

RTW - Books per year

Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question that begs to be answered. In the comments, you can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.
 
This Week's Topic is:
About how many books do you read in a year? Do you want to read more? Or, less?
 
This year has been quite different because it's the first time I've read loads in one year.  After university and the next stage of my education was over I could finally make my own choices in reading.  I had no exams, essays, and required reading to get through and could now focus on more writing and my own reading.  That's when I decided to start this blog, not just to help me keep track on NaNo but to keep track of my reading and really challenge myself. 
 
And I did with these reading challenges.
 
The book I'm reading now (Seeing Redd by Frank Beddor) marks the last book on the Off the Shelf Challenge and overall completes the two challenges I signed up for.  In total I've read 27 books this year which is the most I've ever done.  And we'll see if I'll have time for more after this book. 
 
I'd like to see if I can bump the total up to 50 for next year.  I started out with a small list for each challenge just to see how I'd do.  And I've managed it.  Some months were slow like August and November but in other months I managed to get through 3 or 4 books.  That's my monthly goal for next year.  So we'll see how I manage. :) But this blog has really helped me to keep on track of my reading.
 
How has 2012 been for you in terms of reading? :)

9 comments:

  1. Blogging definitely helped me keeping track of my reading. As well as Goodreads :D
    I also loved the TTT and the book review of the month by YA Highway :D
    I should definitely do an Off the Shelf Challenge next year to read some of the books that have been standing there, wanting to be read...
    2012 has been a very good reading year for me, but I commute so I have regular times during the day to get lost in a book...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really look forward to that RTW question. I always want to be able to say I've read all these amazing books so it's motivating. :) Talking about books and reviewing them gets me reading more than usual. It helps keep up the excitement of discovering books which happened a lot this year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think an Off the Shelf challenge is in my future as well. I love my little office full of books--now I just have to read them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Life was dark before Goodreads and RTW Best Book Prompts. Being part of a community, even an online one, that involves reading and discussing books, inspires you to stay an active reader. It also opens you up to super cool people who can give you suggestions to add to your list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, 27 books is great. I have no idea how many I've read, but its probably not that many. i find I just don't have time. :( I should start counting books I critique though. They're just as good ;)

    And it also doesn't help when I go on a business trip and realize the battery on my Nook is dead. Perfect reading time down the crapper... haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Finding time to read is probably the biggest challenge. It can be especially hard if you're reading a book that's good, but not really compelling, and you've got other things to do. It's a bit of a shame that some of my favorite novels have been so good, they ended up being among the novels I've read the fastest--simply because I couldn't put them down, and wanted to keep on reading!

    This year's been a pretty good year for me in terms of reading. I've read a number of books I've been wanting to read for a while, and discovered some great authors. And I think my writing has benefited from my reading.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love reading challenges! Although they can kind of drive you batty too--sometimes I feel like I need to rush through books to get to a goal, or maybe I shouldn't read the long novel that I know will take awhile, and opt for a shorter one. The more I read, the more selective I've become on which books I will invest in.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It got better when I started incorporating a few book reviews into blogging, but I'm still short of this year's goal. But I'm okay with that because I spent a lot of time writing and enjoyed that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never kept track of reading before blogging, too. I think it's a good and a bad thing--it makes me read more on average, but I have to remind myself that it's not a competitive sport!

    ReplyDelete