Social Icons

13 Nov 2013

What's Up Wednesday

What's Up Wednesday is a weekly feature created by Jaime Morrow and Erin L. Funk. Perfect for readers and writers who want to share what they've been up to on a weekly basis and right now the place to share your goals and track your progress for Ready. Set. Write!  

1) What I'm Reading

I finished The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irvin which overall I would give two stars to. The story is interesting and I like how it's unknown what really happened to Ichabod Crane. But it's pure narration. You don't get any dialogue. Any proper insight to the characters. There's a lot of telling instead of showing. Now I'm reading Allegiant and I'm 64% done with it so far. I quite like it. Tobias does irritate me a little this time and I have some issue with the two P.O.Vs but I like where it's going so far. Tris is definitely one of my top favourite heroines. She's grown so much in these books and while Tobias continues to put her down (IMO) she's proven many times now that she's more than a sixteen year old girl. She's very mature and has a lot of common sense. Very refreshing to see.

 2) What I'm Writing

I edited a chapter of Beast Inside at the beginning of November but I couldn't get any writing or editing last week because of my wrist. Now and again it plays up and hurts to use so I had to let that rest whenever possible.

 3) What Else I've Been Up To

I spent the beginning of November in London seeing some old high school friends. We haven't been together as a group for six years so it was one hell of a catch up. We're on week two of the new school term and there's already suspicion of Ofsted coming. Eeek! Now that it's November I've already been getting in the Christmas mood. =D I tried out some mince pies which look a whole lot better than last year's shocking attempt. Christmas Cake this weekend! =D I love Christmas baking even though I don't actually it. I love this time of year but I don't like Christmas desserts and treats.  

4) What Inspires Me Right Now

Pete's been busy with Assassin's Creed Black Flag which is all about pirates. He's been playing that non-stop, humming sea shanties and watching Pirates of the Caribbean.  I'm getting all sorts of ideas now.


16 comments:

  1. I haven't read Allegiant and not sure I will. I found out the end, and I heard her writing wasn't the same, though the story is good, and that Tobias' and Tris' voices sound the same. Not sure I want to go through that ... *shrugs*

    Oh, pirates! I have a board on pinterest for pirates only - how cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo I'll be having a look on that! =D

      That's exactly the issue I have with the POVs. But other than that I think it's alright. Better than Mockingjay. At least Tris isn't passing out for most of the book like Katniss kept doing.

      Delete
  2. I really didn't like ALLEGIANT, but I'll spare you all of the reasons why. I will say that the info-dumping and confusing dual POVs were two on that list. That said, I realize I'm in the minority in my dislike. I hope your wrist starts feeling better soon so that you can get back to editing. Have a great week, Robin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been good avoiding spoilers this time but I'm really curious about this ending everyone talks about. I have my suspicions...

      Delete
  3. Hope your wrist feels better soon. And hope OFSTED goes well. And catching up with old friends in London sounds fantastic.

    Oooh, I do love some Hans Zimmer! Thanks for sharing ^_^

    I love Christmas baking. I feel a need for gingerbread this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you know I really like being out in London. It's quite nice and busy for a night out. ^^

      Delete
  4. I'll be interested to read your thoughts on ALLEGIANT when you're done. It's not often I say this, but I hope you HAVEN'T read my review of it yet--I'd like to know your thoughts on it aside from what anyone else thinks (including myself). Not that what I thought would influence you, but I know when I read negative reviews, I find myself looking for those negative things. I didn't find all of it bad... but see for yourself. Then we can talk. :)

    My oldest is really into Assassin's Creed, but I think she wants to get an X-Box before she plays the latest one. She's played the others on her PC--perhaps the newest isn't as good on a PC? I don't know. I'm still working my way through Super Mario Sunshine... :)

    Have a wonderful writing week, Robin! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been avoiding all reviews haha. I've been hearing some uproar about the ending so I've kept well away.

      I know Pete usually plays on the PS3. I think it's easier with on a console with all the buttons you need when you're climbing around and assassin-ing.

      Delete
  5. That catch-up sounds fun! Black Flag sounds awesome, hope you have fun with it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to play it. I've decided to skip all the others when I finished 2 just because I want to be a pirate. =D

      Delete
  6. My brother bought me Assassin's Creed last Christmas, but I *still* haven't had time to sit down and play through it. Sigh. Maybe this fall and winter I will have time...

    Good luck as you progress with editing and writing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's taken me a while to get through Assassin's Creed 2. But I do have a boyfriend who hogs the PS3...

      I blame him really.

      Delete
    2. My brother does the same thing. Luckily he has his favorite game (Skyrim) on PC now, so he whines less when I boot him off to play AC.

      Delete
  7. My husband is playing Assassin's Creed Black Flag right now too. And he wants to watch Pirates of the Caribbean again. =) Sorry to hear about your wrist though! I hope it gets better soon. How did you hurt it? I just got over a wrist injury that kept me from writing as much. It hurt when I wrote for over an hour at a time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been pirate mad here!

      I'm not quite sure. This is something that happens quite frequently so I'm getting blood tests soon to find out.

      Delete
    2. I have the same thing with my left wrist, but no explanation. I hurt it much worse than usual in July and ended up in a brace for three months while they ran tests. I got a steroid shot and that helped bring it back to normal (which for me still means pain but at least not as much of it.). I thought it was carpal tunnel but they ran that test and said my nerves look great. I hope you get some answers soon!

      Delete