Social Icons

24 Jun 2014

Book Review: The Iron Queen by Julie Kagawa

My name is Meghan Chase.

I thought it was over. That my time with the fey, the impossible choices I had to make, the sacrifices of those I loved, was behind me. But a storm is approaching, an army of Iron fey that will drag me back, kicking and screaming. Drag me away from the banished prince who's sworn to stand by my side. Drag me into the core of conflict so powerful, I'm not sure anyone can survive it.

This time, there will be no turning back.


The romance between Ash and Meghan still has me wanting to claw my eyes out. On the plus side he's not threatening to kill her anymore, admitting he would willingly kill her if ordered to, and not a hostile jerk anymore. But his dialogue now is full of mush and cheese that, honestly, it made me roll my eyes and gag quite a few times. I'm just not an Ash fan. He's either cold or he's soppy and frankly both shades of him aren't really that interesting. Not Julie Kagawa's strongest character IMO.

Apart from her relationship with Ash I do like Meghan. She's slowly become a warrior after accepting that having a normal life is a complete no-no, learning that there is a war going on that she feels she has responsibility for. She's coming to care for this Feary world she believes she's never belonged in and is willing to risk her life to save it. Not only that she's careful about Fey bargains, learning how to find loopholes in them and make loopholes herself. The girl's got some brains about her. I was glad to see that Meghan had to be the reasonable one and make sacrifices, understanding that she had other priorities while Ash obsessed about their relationship.  She wasn't afraid to call him out and set out to do what she felt was important.

I think this marks the end of Meghan's narration as the next book is in the POV of Ash. In a way it's not something I have high expectations for but who knows? Maybe Ash has an interesting mind and we'll see a better personality. The book after that (The Lost Prince) focuses on Meghan's half-brother Ethan. So this may be the last we properly see of Meghan. If so, I thought the book ended her story quite nicely, leaving it open in the future for Kagawa to explore but not so open that Meghan's journey wouldn't feel unfinished to readers.

Overall, my favourite book out of the Iron Fey series so far.

2 comments:

  1. Don't you hate it when a romance gets in the way of a story? :(

    Also! BOO! I've tagged you on a character bloghop! Check it out here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the romance was one I actually fell for and shipped I would have been fine. But I couldn't deal with this one. It's literally the one thing about the book that stopped me giving it 5/5.

      It feels like YA novels have to come with romance. I get the interest but in the end it's not the best of messages to send out.

      Ooo, I do love tags! They make great posts! =D

      Delete